Throughout the 1950s the 250 Series of Ferrari’s saw fantastic success, both on the race track and in the showroom. In order to stay competitive on the race track though, Ferrari had to sell more road cars to keep the bank account topped off. In the late 1950’s it was determined that Ferrari would develop its first real 4-seater offering to help broaden the market of potential buyers. The Pininfarina designed 250 GTE 2+2 was first introduced at the 1960 Paris Auto Show. 250 Series Ferraris all utilized one of two chassis, either a short version (94.5 inches) or the long version (102.4 inches), upon which the GTE was built. It utilized the same Colombo 3.0 liter V-12 engine as much of the rest of the 250 lineup, although in this guise it made an estimated 237 hp. In true Ferrari design fashion, the rear legroom was adequate for small children but tight for any true sized adult. The 250 GTE sold well, with almost 1,000 cars constructed by Pininfarina from the time it was prototyped in 1959 until it was replaced by the similarly styled 330 America at the end of 1963. Today, the 250 GTE 2+2 remains an elegant, well driving, and important piece of Ferrari’s automotive heritage.
The example on offer here, chassis number — and engine number –, is a 1962 Ferrari 250 GT/E 2+2 Series II. It is finished in Red with Tan Leather interior. the car was sold new out of Chinetti Motors in 1962, but not much else is known up until the current owner acquired the car on October 11, 1988, with 48,033 miles on the odometer. The car was in nice driver quality state when purchased by the current owner but it was determined that a full restoration should be carried out. A full frame-off restoration of the car began in July 1990 by T’s Sunrise of Englewood Colorado with body, frame, and paint being contracted out to 3R Automotive of Englewood, Colorado. The restoration was very well done and was documented nicely in photos which can be seen in the documents section. The entire engine and drivetrain were rebuilt during the restoration and every inch of the car was redone. Since the completion of the restoration in June of 1997, the car has covered a mere 2500 miles. Even though the restoration is now over 20 years old, the condition still remains outstanding with smooth glasslike paint and a clean and tidy interior. As the car sits today it currently needs nothing except a new home and owner who will cherish, show and drive this fabulous example of a historic Ferrari model.